1. EN
  2. FR
  3. ES
See Legal Notices for important information on the climate-related content on this website.

Crossing and encroachments

What is a crossing?

A crossing, also known as an encroachment, can be a temporary or permanent structure across, on, along or under a facility or pipeline right-of-way. A crossing can also mean equipment or machinery crossing over the pipeline right-of-way or facility site.

Examples of crossings:

  • Installing or replacing fencing
  • Installing pipe, cable, conduit or other utilities
  • Digging any hole or trenching
  • Building a shed or outbuilding
  • Using the right-of-way to turn around heavy equipment
  • Driving or transporting heavy equipment or heavy loads on or across the right-of-way
  • Storing or piling material like earth, gravel or construction equipment on the right-of-way

All of these activities and more need written consent from the pipeline operator to ensure the continued integrity and safe operation of the pipeline.

Important: This may be a requirement by state law or the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), who may issue fines or penalties for non-compliance. A TC Energy representative MUST be present for any work conducted on the pipeline right-of-way.


How to apply for written consent

  1. Determine the location of your work relative to TC Energy's facilities

  2. When planning, and before any of the work or activities can begin, a locate request must be made through your local One-Call service. You can find this at www.call811.com

  3. If you already know a TC Energy-operated pipeline is nearby, you can make a crossing request directly by either calling 1-800-562-8931 or emailing us_crossings@tcenergy.com
  4. To better serve you and speed up your request, please provide the following information:

    • Proposed activity – what are you planning to do?
    • Location of proposed work (GPS coordinates are preferred)
    • Make and model of any equipment that will cross/encroach the pipeline facilities.
    • Proposed activity date
    • Axle load (weight)
    • Your name and phone number
    • Email address
  5. Make a locate request either online (Call811.com) or by calling your local One-Call Centre early, at least 3-5 business days in advance

  6. The One-Call Centre will notify owners of buried utilities in your area, who will send representatives to mark these facilities with flags, paint or other marks, helping you avoid damaging them. Often written consent for minor activities can be obtained directly from a regional TC Energy representative through a locate request.

  7. Once your information has been assessed and potential impacts have been evaluated, TC Energy may:

    • Grant consent without any conditions
    • Grant consent that requires certain conditions to be met to assure safety, or
    • Not grant consent

Life-saving information

Emergency contacts

United States

In case of emergency, click here for contact numbers

Contact our US crossings team:


Landowner inquiries:

General inquiries:


Emergency contacts


Call before you Dig: